Friday, January 21, 2011

Musings of a Nanny

Good Morrow... or at least that is what I think they say.

I have started this blog as sort of a project. Something in the forms of a recount and reconstruction of my days as a nanny to the reconstruction of the job as a whole. A position that is to be represented, yet given the right in the world as a profession.

I have been a nanny for a little over 8 years and have been through the good, bad, and utterly ugly. All of my families I still think of fondly- this mostly includes the children.. yet there are some of the parents who will resonate in the memories also. A lot of topics and memoirs will be covered, however I choose to make this an interactive blog and encourage feedback. To date I have been with 9 families. That may seem like a lot in 8 years however some of them were held dual (nanny share is the technical name). Ages ranged from 3 months to 13 years of age. Some with a household of 5 to a household of 1. All sorts, all backgrounds. Some quite interesting and some quite scary. Luckily I have only ever been put in a position where I would fear for my safety once. It was quite the bin of rubbish if I do say so myself.  Otherwise, I have only had one employer who I shall refer to as Medusa. She is the latest of my "iceberg" and had a sense of entitlement of Queen Elizabeth. Quite enough excitement at the position thank you!

By trade I am considered a "live-out" nanny. I prefer it that way, as I am married with a child of my own. Yet, I only have positive things that have come from the times of my child going with me to my jobs (sans the 2 crazy households). I have done everything from homeschooling to baking cookies. Outings to long excursions to even having those I have worked for find me on face book so that I might watch them grow over time. It is actually an amazing job if you think of it. These children are given to you a stranger and when you leave exchanging a piece of your heart with theirs.

So with that, I will say this is my first post. The musings of Nanny Poppins. While I do not carry a magic carpet bag and fly, I do have a "snaps" to make the job a game!

No comments:

Post a Comment