Friday, January 21, 2011

So in recent events.. it has got me thinking.....

In regards to my profession: A Nanny.. I wonder why it is that the employers (parents of the children I nanny for) become so hostile when the notice is given. I ask this because I have noticed I am not the only one this has happened to. You are the best thing since sliced bread when you are working for the person- but then the notice is given and they turn on you like a swarm of bee's. While it is pretty true to self- in reading another nanny's blog, she says:

Unfortunately, most of the mothers who employ nannies would never "lower" themselves to take care of other people's children. As nice as these parents seem when their nanny is doing what they are supposed to be doing, they change when their nanny leaves.

While I know of 2 families that I have been with- would do it if they were able- the others I wonder why the hell is this profession thought of as "low" on the totem poll? Why am I any less of a professional in my job than you are for what you do. Aren't I the one who is helping to mold and protect one of your most precious assets? I am not trying to be pompous or come across as someone who is to be worshiped. Quite the contrary- I am just trying to understand as to why it is viewed- that the profession I choose is thought to be something of an indentured servant over a acceptable job in the world of business?

I guess what I am trying to say is: please explain to me this attitude, this entitled attitude these families have regarding their nannies. Why do they treat them like slaves? Why not wish them well and send them off with a smile and a good luck? Why are people such complete jerks?


A Nanny earns a child's respect by understanding what they say...
By listening to their problems, and being mindful of them every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment