Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You're not gonna die..

So many parents I have noticed are starting to go nuts. I say that including myself. I am a mother of a 5 year old and with her being my one and only child (so far) I of course had some of the spazz attacks about what should and should not use/do when it came to things. However, through the lovely use of technology- I signed up for a twitter account and follow a couple of things. One being these Daily Parent Tip. This was one of the many gems that came through today. http://www.tweenparent.com/articles/view/139 (read at your leisure...)

But I bring this up because of a few of them. I have had families that are on both ends of the spectrum. Ones that are so manic that I swear they bleach their children to ones that are a little to lax and let their kids poop on the floor and don't realize it until they walk in the bathroom later. (yes, this is true.. names withheld of course).  But what I wanted to point out in all of this is- there are some things that kids are going to do, no matter what age they are that will NOT kill them. Seriously. I promise you. Eating dirt is one of them. Of course not in excess, but if you are getting ready for spring like I am- and notice little Johnny over there using his shovel as a spoon... don't freak. Simply rinse out his mouth and go about your day. I have had some crazy things happen as a nanny- some that to this day still gross me out- but I do realize it comes with the territory.

Another thing- germs. Kids are gonna get them. Best of the best for kid hands is not the sanitizer you pump from a bottle. Wipes are the way to go. A study was showing that the amount of alcohol in those pumps along with the antibacterial notions included stayed on the hands and didn't absorb. This being said.. who knows a kid that does not stick their hands in their mouth- or a finger or whatever? Not I. Every single kid I know does. At one point or another. In the recent of a year and a 1/2 I had one family that was on the anal spectrum of germs. The mother would have her kids wash their hands before dinner.. as appropriately everyone should. However she would then douse (and I mean douse) their hands in the pump bottles of sanitizer. Mind you one was of an age knowing to wipe your hands after you rub, the other being a mere 18 months old and choosing to think it was cute to lick the sanitizer off her hands- while her mother stood by and just said "_______ don't do that".

......Uh no......

Don't do that doesn't suffice. I would of course have to be the one who was not crazy, go over and help baby rub hands together and then wipe them off because she would use her hands to eat. Utensils at this age are optional fare in their eyes. LOL. But my point being that dang... while your child is using her hand as a lollipop to eat this sanitizer? UH NO! It is a chemical. Just sayin..

Also- the 5 second rule.. yeah.. I am gonna say I am not one down with picking food up off the floor- however I do want to point out that Mythbusters did a whole thing on the 5 second rule. Depending on where you are of course- it will matter if you drop your lollipop on the floor where there are cockroaches and crap. However if you drop it on the kitchen floor (as long as you are not a crappy housekeeper)- grab it and rinse it off.  It is okay. It really is okay.

I guess what I am trying to say is, keep your kids healthy and make sure they are properly taken care of. Yet, don't over exercise the fact of sanitizing everything. Including your kids.

So.. in my point of everything.. germs happen. It is a moot point. But- please please please use wipes over the pump. Your kid could get sick and die if the ingestion of this germ killer becomes to much for their little bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment